Select and Link – Deforming model?? :( 2010-11-16T23:05:53+00:00

Home Forums Application Specific and Hardware Subforums 3DS MAX FORUM Select and Link – Deforming model?? :(

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    #21259 |

Hey all,
    I am currently working through the epic hard surface (dreadnought) tutorial and all is going fine up until the rigging of the leg pistons… I seem to have an issue where while attempting to link a piston to the leg the piston will distort, or move, or just generally act very wrong when i link it to the leg.

Here are some pictures of what i mean, the first being before i link the join to the leg, the second after.

beforelink.th.jpg

afterlink.th.jpg

Why has it done this? how do i fix it?

Thanks for any help

Anonymous

You may have scaling or pivot issues. Check both.

Anonymous

Yes i assume it is a pivot issue due to lots of pivot changes, but i am not sure how to fix it

Anonymous

How about resetting the pivot and than moving to the desired place?

Anonymous

When ever I see things going haywire like this the first thing that springs to mind is always reset the xform.

Anonymous

Select the geometry that is griefing you and click on the scale button. Look at your XYZ and if it says anything other than 100,100, 100…you’re screwed. You have to delete all of your geometry and start over. If it says 100, 100, 100, skip to the sentence in this post.

I might be joking about losing your work. In some cases, you can lose an entire rig due to an oversight like that.

If it doesn’t say 100, you will have to click the Utilities tab and hit Reset XForm (alternatively, add xform modifier). 3ds Max may at this point forcefully and invisibly smack the geometry by for being mischievous, causing it to move from its location. Use the Affect Pivot function in the Hierarchy tab to modify the pivot point to your liking if needed, then reposition your robot piece.

Anonymous

would that be the “invisible hand of smackness”?

Anonymous

What does resetting the xform actually do? In the tutorial he did that but i wasn’t sure why (and so didn’t do it) as its only goal seemed to be to make his model spaz out! 😀

edit… just reset the xform, the part of the model messed up as expected, it added an xform modifier to the stack.. and i can no longer rotate the model?? ;(

Anonymous

Colapse the stack to Editable Poly and than you should be able to rotate/scale/move. If your faces fliped as they usually do, select all polygons and click flip.

My last coment on this thread was totally retarded so please forget it:)

Hope that helps,
    Cozmo

Anonymous

Right good people of the forums… it also has something to do with the look at constraint… i almost had it working again… if i remove the look at it will link properly but if i then try to add it back it goes all messed up once more 🙁

Anonymous

I do not believe that you are supposed to link the two pieces that are too look at each other together. Maybe that is your problem.

Cozmo

Anonymous

You cannot link 2 items in that way it will complain…the 2 parts of the piston are not linked to one another

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support