"Merlin" 2007-03-03T14:17:22+00:00
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    #13440 |

When finally got just about finished with this one now guys so here’s the first of the renders.

Also at the link is my animation reel for the merlin project. Its a 27meg quicktime movie. Its got a few bits still to tweek but its all but there now.

cheers

Paul

merlin111.jpg

Animation – http://www.giant3d.co.uk/merlin.mov

Anonymous

Excellent work! My only crit would be that during some of the scenes where you show the helicopter flying you need a bit more general movement in there, as the position it’s holding is currently a little too precise for an actual machine!

Really good stuff!

Anonymous

Very nice work there.

I have a couple of observations I would like to point out.

Cool animations. The thing I noticed that didnt look quite right, was the retracting of the landing gear(The first time around), the front wheel did not retract all the way into the housing. Other than that the animation looked sweet.

The other thing is to do with the compsition of the above image.
    The background image has no direct sunlight, its more of an ambient lighting, yet your Merlin has raytraced shadows cast upon it. Perhaps it would fit better if you had soft shadows.
    Also this close to the surface of the ocean, I would expect some colour bleed from the oceans reflectivity on the underside of the fusilage. Maybe add a very low intensity light on the underside, with a colour point sampled for the light.

The ocean seems calm, but in contrast to the Merlin, the Merlin looks a little small in scale, in accordance to the wave crest size.

Maybe a little colour correction on the Merlin to blend in to the background a little better.

If I sound a picky little idiot, then I apologize. Its just I know the amount of work you have put in to this, it would be a shame to see it stumble at the last hurdle.

Excellent work!!:):):)

petervpeterv

What a nice job! WOW! I think the rigging is excellent and I’m not sure about the other comments by Ragu, his eye is better then mine, but it looks good to me.

Pete

petervpeterv

Paul,

I meant to ask you where you got your blueprints for the Polikarpov and this Merlin?

Pete

Anonymous

Hey guys thanks for your comments i appreciate them. Ive uploaded a new version with some proper spec maps and i think its looking better.

Well its a funny game with aircraft models as ive posted this in a couple of forums and ive got completely different crits each time LOL. They are so hard to get spot on with the environment stuff. The water in this model is CG and with full sun overhead so you see how different peoples perspectives differ LOL. but i appreciate all the posts.

Peter – I get most of my blueprints from airwars.ru. But the one for the merlin where so bad i ended up modelling it mostly from photo’s

cheers

paul

HeroblobHeroblob

That’s really nice Paul! There’s just one thing missing… my favourite thing to do… heat haze coming from the exhaust:).

Have you thought about sending the above picture to 3D World? I think it’s definitely good enough to get published.

One thing I noticed about the final shot of the animation is that the Merlin looks a bit sharp compared to the background plate. It’s always been one of my pet peeves about doing visual effects, you spend ages getting your CG object looking really nice, then as soon as you put it into a live-action plate you have to destroy it with blurs and grain and god knows what else to make it look right!:)

Anonymous

It does look very sweet, A+ on the model.

Really just nothing else that has not been said above, the rigging looks spot on, and everything.

Anonymous

looks awsome to me

Anonymous

Thanks guys i will look into your comments. This is another render this time a little more dramatic !!

playtime.jpg

Knight-Knight-

Its such a nice Heli, good work giant mate.

Anonymous

Just just another render

klz1174245626d.jpg

Anonymous

hot stuff mate. nice work

eagle4

Anonymous

Holy crap, awesome work. The renders look amazing, expecially the last one.

Anonymous

Well done Giant551, this picture is really awesome!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support